Thursday, August 23, 2012

Who Defines “Christianity”?


Different people define the term “Christianity” differently. Back when I considered the Bible to be literally true, I considered myself a Christian. I’ve adopted the term Christian Agnostic now, since I consider the Bible to be inspired stories rather than literal truths, and I reject Christian doctrine, but remain an admirer of Jesus of Nazareth. The Apostle John said, “He who loves is born of God.” That would still include me.

But, as it turns out, the term “Christian” may never have applied to me, even back in my fundamentalist days. And there are millions of Americans who think they are Christians, but who are not. It has to do with the definition of “Christian.”

The definition of a word is based upon the way most people use it. The dictionary does not define what a word means. Some dictionaries, like the OED, incorporate all the ways that anyone has used the word (in print or online). And (at least where I live, in Oklahoma) what the majority of people who call themselves Christians mean by the word is that you give full, unconditional, passionate support to the Republican Party, even if that party is led by a Mormon whom they think is probably going to hell. To the majority of Christians in my geographical region, a Christian is someone who spews hatred toward those whom they brand, for whatever reason, as liberals. It is to be associated with a church at least some of whose members believe Barack Obama is the Antichrist. (I am not making this up.) Therefore, the definition of Christianity as used by most people in my area means Republican (but not Log Cabin Republican or even middle-of-the-road Republican). Therefore, those of us who believe or believed in Jesus the bringer of peace are or were not Christians. I have no right to determine whether I am, or ever was, a Christian.

I realize that the same pattern may not hold true in other parts of the country. I suspect that in California the definition of Christian would be different. I suspect that in California where the Republicans are more liberal than Oklahoma Democrats, even a Christian Agnostic might get away with calling him- or herself a Christian. Certainly in other parts of the world there is no necessary association between Christian and Republican. But, where I live, I do not feel I would be allowed to use the word “Christian” for myself even if I were still a Bible fundamentalist.

Bertrand Russell wrote a book, Why I am Not a Christian. Were I to write such a book, it would not be very long: because most Oklahoma Christians say that, as a non-Republican, I cannot be. There are plenty of Oklahomans who are progressive and call themselves Christians, but they are not the majority.

No comments:

Post a Comment