Friday, December 7, 2012

Making a Difference

I recently received an email that I wanted to share, from a student who was in one of my classes over a decade ago at my previous institution (Southwest State University, now Southwest Minnesota State University). There are few surprises more pleasant for a professor than to hear from a student who benefited from a class. The class was “Earth through Time and Space,” which was an overview of the evolutionary history of the cosmos. It was a general education class, not directly relevant to anyone’s major or professional preparation.

The student expressed appreciation that I challenged the class to think about their assumptions, including religious assumptions that conflicted with scientific evidence. I do not recall preaching any atheism or agnosticism (I was still a conventionally religious person at the time), and I don’t recall any students leaving in protest (of course, it was a big lecture room and this could have happened without my knowledge). I wasn’t trying to turn students into agnostics, but this is what a few of them ended up being.

I can barely remember that far back. But it gives me a lot of satisfaction to know that some of the good that I tried to do is still remembered and still having an effect. I would like to quote the email, without including the name of the writer.

Mr. Rice,

I am not certain what made me think of the class I had with you at Southwest State University back in the late 90's, but it is one class that I will always remember.

Why? Because you were the first person in my life that ever questioned religion. And rather than storm out like many did that day, I decided to begin thinking and researching not only religion, but just about every thing else in life.

I learned how to be a critical thinker.

This may seem like a bizarre letter to you, but when someone asked me how I got started being a skeptic, I traced the roots back to Marshall and more specifically, your classroom.

So...thanks. You have no reason to remember me, as I was not a particularly great student....but I certainly remember you and the impact you had on my life.

I hope all is well with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment