Thursday, March 3, 2016

Emails from Hell, part eleven

Yet more amazing adventures awaited our correspondent in Hell!

{beginning of email}

            “PSST!” I heard from somewhere off in the mists, which is what Hell has instead of clouds.
            We were all surprised. I was no longer the only one who seemed clueless about what was going on. We all looked around to try to locate the source of the sound.
            “Over here,” came a loud whisper.
            Philomena had returned from her conversation with Pope Francis. She had very acute hearing and located the person who had made the sound.
            “Why, look what the cat dragged in!” she said, as she pulled a spirit person out of the mists and into our circle of camaraderie. It was a man whose clothing had been made from a Confederate flag. “You must have done something really bad, to be a Confederate who ended up in Hell,” she said.
            The man introduced himself. “I am Stonewall Beauregard,” he said. “And, I will let you know right away, please keep me hidden. I have been condemned to Heaven, and I’m not supposed to be down here. But, I just needed to talk to someone who actually thinks about things. Say, Ma’am. What’s your name?”
            “They called me Philomena, and I was of African descent back on Earth.”
            Stonewall smiled broadly. “I am so glad to meet you.” He knelt down. “Please forgive me for siding with the Confederates. And all of the rest of you: Please forgive me.”
            “I forgive-a you,” said Pope Francis.
            “Me too,” said Philomena. “My ancestors were still in Africa during the Confederacy, so my forgiveness doesn’t mean much. I was born in Benin. I suffered a lot of prejudice when I moved to America, but not from Confederates.”
            “Ah, there’s where you err,” said Stonewall. “I did not live during the Confederacy of 1861-1865. I lived in Oklahoma in the twenty-first century. I was one of those Confederate sympathizers. I drove a big truck around with Confederate flags flapping from it. Then I had a little too much to drink and ran my truck into a ditch. Soon as I woke up, there was a welcoming committee for me in Heaven. The Confederate sympathizers who had gone before me were playing in a big band. Dixie, of course, but also The Bonnie Blue Flag. I should have been happy but, you see, I felt guilty when the welcoming committee greeted me. I did not feel forgiven for the way I had lived, until this very moment. What joy you bring me, Philomena, and—who did you say you were, sir?”
            “Call him His Holiness,” said Karl.
            “Don’t-a call me that-a,” said the Pope.
            “I’m so ashamed of the way I behaved on Earth,” continued Stonewall. “And I’m even more ashamed of the way the other guys behave up in Heaven. You know what they do all day?”
            “Yes,” I said. I have described the daily ritual in Heaven in an earlier dispatch.
            “I’m going to have to get back before they miss me. Back on Earth, I used to slip into the bushes to read inspirational books by Frederick Douglass and Booker T. Washington and Martin Luther King. I told everyone I needed to go see a man about a dog. But up here, we don’t have bowels so I can’t make that excuse any more. But I am so glad I found all-y’-all.”
            “Please feel free to come by for a visit when you can,” said Andrew.
            “Oh, I wouldn’t miss it for a whole pot of crawdads,” said Stonewall. “And especially meeting you, Miss, or Ms., or whatever…I forgot your name…”
            “Philomena,” she smiled.
            Stonewall pronounced her name like it was a delicious piece of chocolate spread all over his spiritual teeth. He and Philomena held hands a little longer than was necessary before he shot back up to Heaven.


{end of email}

No comments:

Post a Comment