Saturday, December 5, 2020

Sorry, But Your Son Deserved to Die

On January 3, I posted an essay about the woman whose son died in an automobile accident. She insisted that I believe in God along with her. Of course, I do not know whether there is a God, as she defines God, or not. But the time of her bereavement was not the right time to discuss it, so I wiggled my way through noncommittal statements.

What I most certainly could not tell her was that her son deserved to die. Not more than other people, but along with many other people who, like him, get drunk then drive their cars at outrageous speeds. He ended up running into a tree. The laws of nature eliminated him. Natural selection eliminated him. There are many other people who drink and drive at high speeds who get lucky and do not die, or who kill other people who are innocent. But this young man got what he deserved. Driving so irresponsibly, he might have killed someone besides himself.

I’m glad his mother did not ask me about this aspect of the events.

No comments:

Post a Comment