Friday, April 3, 2015

Good Friday Message: What Kind of a God Would You Be?

I guess I wouldn’t make a very effective God. The real God, if there is one, makes certain that the laws of nature ruthlessly afflict anyone who happens to have bad luck, for example inheriting certain bad mutations, or happens to get a contagious disease. Would you be able to do this? I couldn’t do this. I would be unable to resist helping those who suffer and who beg for help. I would not be able to be as cruel as religious people think God is. I just couldn’t do it. I would be too much of a bleeding heart. You probably would be too.

That is, I would be more like Jesus and less like God.

I understand the argument that God lets people suffer because God expects other humans to come to the rescue. But this argument has many exceptions. What about the situations where nobody is available to help? What about the situations when there is no way to help? In these cases, only God can help, and he does not.

Oh, and of course, a competent God would have to send to Hell anyone who got their doctrine wrong.


Oh well. You can’t have a bleeding-heart God running the world, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment